I remember back in my not-so-healthy-eating days I used to eat perogies ALL THE TIME. They’re one of the foods I’ve missed most. It took me a few years, but I think I’ve finally nailed it: the perfect healthy perogi recipe! The “secret” is to use white whole wheat flour, which still has the whole grain benefits but has a milder taste than regular whole wheat flour. You could do a half wheat/half white flour combo to lighten up the wheat flavor even more but I’m a healthy cooking traditionalist…no white flour for me.
For the filling, I used a combination of fresh ricotta cheese, goat cheese, green onion, and my homemade purple sauerkraut. It was quite the cool color combo, as you’ll see here …
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 4 stalks of green onion (diced)
1. Combine flour, water, egg, salt, and sour cream in large mixing bowl. Stir together with wooden spoon.
2. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth (dust with flour as-needed). Let dough stand for 1 hour.
3. Split the ball of dough into 2-3 pieces and roll out each ball individually with a rolling pin until it’s as thin as you prefer (but not so thin it breaks easily).
4. Cut the dough into 3-inch (7.5 cm) sections.
5. Place a small dollop of each cheese and sauerkraut along with a bit of green onion in each section you cut out (see pic).
6. Close each perogi and use a fork to press down on the edges (you may need to wet your fingers with water and press the edges together if they’re not sticking).
7. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil perogies for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot and rinse under cool water.
8. Pat perogies dry with paper towels. Saute with coconut or olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes a side until each side is slightly crispy. Dust lightly with salt and pepper and serve.
122 calories, 4 g fat, 15 g carbs (2.5 g fiber), 4 g protein, 210 mg sodium
Sign up for my newsletter below to just like this recipe.