One of my favorite salads of all time is a fresh tomato basil mozzarella salad. It’s one of the easiest things to make too. All you need is some good tomatoes, some good olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and fresh basil and mozzarella.
The cool part is, this salad is low-fat, has barely any carbs, and has plenty of health benefits. Tomatoes are high in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Olive oil is high in heart healthy monounsaturated fats. Fresh mozzarella cheese is a lower fat, lower sodium cheese compared to most others. And fresh basil is an ancient herb that has many positive effects on your health, including antiviral properties.
This is a great dish to bring to any party. It’s simple, fast, and always a crowd-pleaser.
So try my tomato basil mozzarella salad and let me know what you think!
Ingredients: tomato basil mozzarella salad
- 5 tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
1. Rinse and de-stem the basil leaves. Finely chop the basil.
2. Rinse the tomatoes and dice them.
3. Cut the fresh mozzarella into small (approximately half-inch) pieces
4. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
5. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving to let the flavors mingle. Top with black pepper before serving.
129 calories, 9.5 g fat, 1.5 g carbs (1 g fiber), 4 g protein, 265 mg sodium