I have to admit I didn’t jump on the beet bandwagon until a couple years ago when I got a couple of them in my CSA basket from the local farmers market. My past experience with beets was the nasty canned version and it didn’t leave a good taste in my mouth (literally). Fast forward two years and this beet and pistachio salad recipe is honestly one of my all-time favorites.
It’s extremely easy and uses only healthy, all natural ingredients: fresh beets, onions, basil, jalapenos, pistachios, sea salt, coconut oil, and olive oil. Here’s what the prep looked like:
Don’t omit the jalapeno … if you don’t like spicy food just remove the seeds. It’s really a mild pepper when the seeds are out and it adds such a great flavor. After sauteing the veggies in coconut oil, an awesomely delicious fragrance will fill your kitchen. Once it’s done cooking (instructions below), add the olive oil, salt, and chopped basil for a beautiful final presentation that will look something like this:
Finally, let’s talk nutrition. This recipe is seriously filling, guys. If you’re serving a heavy protein dish, I don’t recommend it. I ate it with just a little bit of brown rice and a small (3 oz.) turkey burger and I was stuffed. That’s because this beet salad recipe has just under 300 calories of nutrition-packed goodness. You get a great mix of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
So enough talking already, right? Here’s the recipe. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||15 min||2|
Ingredients: Sauteed Beet and Pistachio Salad Recipe
- 2 large beets
- 1 small onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Black pepper (to taste)
1. Peel the beets and chop the ends off. Chop into thin strips.
2. Rinse, seed, and chop the jalapeno into thin slices.
3. Peel the onion, chop the ends off, and dice.
4. Saute the beets and onion with coconut oil for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add the jalapeno and pistachios and saute another 5 minutes.
6. Turn the heat off then add the chopped basil, olive oil, and salt.
7. Serve while warm.
294 calories, 21 g fat, 26 g carbs (7 g fiber), 6 g protein, 625 mg sodium
Want More Healthy Recipes Like This?
2. Sign up for my newsletter on the right to get exclusive recipes not found on my site.
3. Check out other healthy real food recipes at The Well Fed Homestead.