Often times the ingredients you have on hand necessitate whatever dish you’re going to make. This was exactly the case with the following spaghetti and shrimp recipe. I don’t normally combine the two together … but I had some shrimp in the fridge I needed to use along with some ripe tomatoes and whole wheat pasta. The result? This Spaghetti and Shrimp Recipe with homemade Spicy Tomato Sauce.
If you don’t have time to make the spicy tomato sauce, pick up a can of low-sodium sauce and add some red pepper flakes or cayenne. But if you have a bit of time to spare, the sauce is pretty delish.
Here’s why this recipe is healthy:
1. Whole wheat pasta is much better for you than regular white pasta.
2. The homemade spicy tomato sauce contains healthy, all-natural ingredients. Most grocery store versions are high in salt and are loaded with preservatives.
3. Shrimp is a low-fat, low-calorie, high-protein addition to the dish.
4. It’s a one-pot meal that has a healthy balance of carbs, fat, and protein: 514 calories, 22 grams of fat (mostly the healthy monounsaturated type), 50 grams of carbs (including 7 grams of fiber), and 30 grams of protein.
This dish is enough for two people and you’ll be stuffed after eating it. The best part is, the restaurant version of this meal would be 1,000 calories or more!
Here’s the recipe … enjoy!
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||1 hr 20 min||2|
Ingredients: Spaghetti and Shrimp with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 3 oz. dry whole wheat spaghetti
- 6 oz. cooked shrimp
- 1 oz. Parmesan-reggiano cheese (grated)
Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 T red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or other spicy seasoning
1. Puree all ingredients for sauce and bring to boil in sauce pan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Bring another pot of water to boil. Cook spaghetti for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse.
3. Add spaghetti, tomato sauce, and shrimp to pan. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
4. Top with grated Parmesan-reggiano cheese and serve.
514 calories, 22 g fat, 50 g carbs (7 g fiber), 30 g protein, 716 mg sodium