For most people, meatloaf conjures up memories of crappy cafeteria food. This healthy gluten free meatloaf recipe will make you change your tune.
So where do you begin? With the meat, of course. The secret to healthy meatloaf lies in the beef. That means shelling out a few more bucks and getting some really good grass fed sirloin. Beef from grass fed cows is leaner, healthier, and tastier. You can find it at many specialty grocery stores (like Whole Foods here in the Midwest) or even better, find a local farm that sells it. Check out the website Eat Wild to find farms that sell grass fed beef near you.
Fresh ingredients are another key to making a delicious healthy meatloaf. Use fresh parsley, ginger, and garlic instead of dried herbs and powders. It makes a big difference.
I opted for some subtle Asian flavors in this dish. The combination of fresh herbs with orange, ginger, garlic, and Braggs Liquid Aminos resulted in a pretty awesome flavor profile. If you’re not familiar with Braggs, it’s a healthier alternative to soy sauce that tastes just like it. It is a great thing to have in your kitchen because it goes well with almost any vegetable.
I made this meatloaf gluten free for my wife by using Udi’s Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread. If you don’t want a gluten free version, just swap a couple slices of whole wheat bread for the gluten free bread.
Once you have all your ingredients, just form them into a ball, pop it in the oven, and 45 minutes later you’ll have one of the tastier healthy meatloaf recipes you’ve ever had.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|20 min||45 min||4|
Ingredients: Healthy Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 lb. grassfed ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (divided into two 1/4 cup portions)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 slices gluten free bread
- 2 tsp. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 1 T Organic Valley Whipped Butter
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1. Chop zucchini and onion. Mince garlic and ginger.
2. Grease a meatloaf pan or glass baking dish with cooking spray or 1 T olive oil. Pre-heat oven to 375.
3. Toast bread and chop into small pieces.
4. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except 1/4 cup of parsley, butter, and lemon juice. Form into a mold in your baking dish.
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving. Combine remaining parsley, butter and lemon juice and spread atop the meatloaf.
222 calories, 8 g fat, 11 g carbs, 28 g protein, 530 mg sodium