Let’s say you’re out to lunch one day and your co-workers talk you into going to the Cheesecake Factory. You’ve been eating healthier and losing a little weight, so you really want to order something healthy. You sit down, look at the overwhelmingly large menu, and decide on the Chicken Salad Sandwich. Seems like a healthy option, right?
What you probably don’t realize is that this “healthy” Chicken Salad Sandwich will set you back 1230 calories and 1910 milligrams of sodium.
I’m going to show you how to make a healthy chicken salad without mayo that tastes awesome and has about 75 percent less calories and sodium than the unhealthy restaurant version!
Specifically, you’re looking at just 286 calories for a tasty chicken salad recipe that’s low in carbs, has “good fats” of the monounsaturated variety, and has 20 grams of protein.
There are a few keys to making this recipe a success though:
1. First, you’ll need to roast your chicken, which gives the chicken salad a really great flavor. (To save time, you can also pick up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the store. If you go this route, you don’t need to add salt since the chicken comes pre-seasoned).
2. Use fresh dill and ginger. I always prefer fresh herbs in my recipes, but it’s especially important in this one. It won’t taste the same without these two crucial ingredients.
3. Cook the shallots in coconut oil for a rich, buttery flavor.
Another perk of this chicken salad recipe is you can use the leftover chicken to make your own delicious stock for soups and sauces.
This chicken salad recipe is so good your friends and family won’t even realize you made it without mayo. So here you go … prepare to be the star of your kitchen.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|15 min||75 minutes||4|
Ingredients: Healthy Chicken Salad Without Mayo
- 1 whole chicken roaster
- 1 shallot
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 cucumber
- 1.5 tsp. fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup green onion
1. Coat the chicken with the salt, pepper, and 1 T olive oil and roast for 60-80 minutes.
2. Chop green onion and cucumber and mince the dill while the chicken is cooking.
3. Let chicken cool for 15 minutes before cutting into. Cut off 12 oz. of meat from the chicken (about a cup and a half worth). Save the rest for another meal.
4. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir together thoroughly and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
286 calories, 21 g fat, 7 g carbs (1.5 g fiber), 20 g protein, 465 mg sodium
Check out more great chicken recipes on my Healthy Dinner Recipes page and other great real food recipes at The Well Fed Homestead.