I like to experiment with different types of food that are out of my comfort zone once in a while. This Healthy Tofu Recipe with Vegan Cheese Sauce is a perfect example of that. This recipe has several components–tofu, vegan cheese sauce, and kimchi–that I’m not accustomed to.
But that’s one of the things I love about cooking. It allows you to be creative and discover new things. Let’s break down the key parts of this recipe. First, you have tofu. In full disclosure, I don’t even like tofu that much. I had some left over from a tofu recipe I had made a few nights prior, and I needed to use it up.
For the vegan cheese sauce, I used a little dairy-free butter, almond milk, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and nutritional yeast flakes (I bought these on Amazon). And it turned out to be a GREAT sauce. Trust me, I’m a cheese-lover, and this sauce may not have had the full flavor profile of a nice aged sharp cheddar, but it was really good.
Kimchi is the third essential ingredient to this healthy tofu recipe. Kimchi is a fermented cabbage dish that’s a staple in Korean cooking. Don’t let the “fermented cabbage” part turn you off. I like to describe it as the Korean version of sauerkraut. It’s full of good bacteria that helps keep your gut healthy, and adds great balance to this dish. Problem is, kimchi can be hard to find. Your best bet is Whole Foods or another specialty grocery store. You can sometimes find it online too. I found this site that sells it online … looks like a good product from what I read. Don’t settle for the cheap stuff. Good kimchi is worth the money.
So let’s talk nutrition facts. This healthy tofu recipe with vegan cheese sauce has the following stat line per serving: 231 calories, 5 grams of carbs, and 12 grams of protein. Pretty impressive. You can knock off some of the fat and calories even more by reducing the amount of oil, but I have no problem adding some healthy fats to my dinner.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|5 min||25 min||4|
Ingredients: Healthy Tofu Recipe with Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 package firm tofu
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 cup kimchi
- 2 T dairy-free butter
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3/4 cup almond milk (no sugar added)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1. Cut the tofu into eight equal-sized flat pieces. Heat a pan to medium high, add olive oil and sear tofu for 5-7 minutes/side.
2. Remove tofu from pan and reduce heat to medium.
3. Add butter, milk, nutritional yeast flakes, dijon mustard, salt, and garlic powder. Whisk sauce frequently.
4. Let sauce heat up and reduce for 5 minutes or so.
5. Add kimchi to pan, reduce heat to low, and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Arrange two pieces of tofu on each plate, and top with kimchi/vegan cheese sauce mixture.
231 calories, 18 g fat, 5 g carbs (1 g fiber), 12 g protein, 358 mg sodium