When you think of summer squash, soup may not be the first thing that comes to mind. But making a healthy summer squash soup is a great way to use those gourds that have been sitting in your refrigerator for a few days. This healthy squash soup recipe was quite tasty and as always, contains only real, all-natural ingredients.
Here’s a look at what’s in it:
Pretty simple stuff here. The key is selecting FRESH ingredients though. Yes, you can use dried basil and garlic powder … it’s just not gonna taste as good though.
This healthy squash soup recipe is full of nutritional goodness: only 122 calories, low in carbs, and contains healthy fats, lots of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Here’s what the final product looks like:
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||20 min||4|
Ingredients: Healthy Summer Squash Soup Recipe
- 3-4 summer squashes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of basil (about half a cup worth … reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 T coconut oil
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
1. Peel and chop the squash and mince the garlic.
2. Saute the squash in a pan over medium heat with the coconut oil for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic the last couple minutes of cooking.
3. Transfer squash and garlic to a blender or food processor (I used my Vitamix). Add remaining ingredients and blend together for about 20-30 seconds until it reaches your desired consistency.
4. Transfer to four bowls and serve.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
122 calories, 10.5 g fat, 5.5 g carbs (2.5 g fiber), 2.5 g protein, 415 mg sodium
Check out my other simple, healthy and delicious soup recipes. And sign up for my newsletter below to instantly download 48 free recipe cards!