Refried beans are pretty tasty but your standard Mexican restaurant version comes loaded with salt, fat, and calories. That’s why I decided to develop this healthy refried beans recipe.
I started with a can of salt-free beans from Whole Foods’ 365 organic brand. I also like Eden Organic. I smashed up the beans using a hand masher but a mixer or food processor would probably work just as well. Toss in a little diced onion, some jalapeno for a little kick (remove the seeds if you don’t like much heat), and some oil, vinegar, garlic, honey, and salt, and you’re good to go.
This refried beans recipe packs 8 grams each of fiber and protein. It’s a great side dish with Mexican and Southwestern dishes. Try it with my Steak Fajitas … you won’t be disappointed.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||0 min||3|
Ingredients: healthy refried beans recipe
- 1 can salt-free pinto beans (or 15 grams of cooked beans if you’re making your own)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 onion
- 1 T jalapeno
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 basil leaves
1. Drain and rinse the beans.
2. Chop the onions and mince the jalapeno and garlic.
3. Place beans in a mixing bowl and use a hand masher to mash them up.
4. Combine all remaining ingredients except basil and mix thoroughly.
3. Garnish with fresh basil.
200 calories, 6.5 g fat, 28 g carbs (8 g fiber), 8 g protein, 340 mg sodium