Cream of asparagus soup is awfully tasty but it comes with a price: it’s not very good for you. The main reason for that is it’s usually made with heavy cream, which is high in calories and fat. The healthy “no cream” asparagus soup recipe you’re about to see solves that dilemma for you.
There are a few simple tips you can use to turn an unhealthy, cream-based asparagus soup into a healthy version that still tastes amazing:
- Substitute two percent milk for cream.
- Use reduced sodium broth (I used chicken but you can opt for vegetable broth too if it suits your fancy).
- Add a shallot for flavor.
And that’s it. This recipe only takes about 20 minutes total to prepare and is filled with all-natural goodness. And it’ll only set you back 156 calories.
Try it out … or make it your own by adding or subtracting ingredients (I’d love to hear what you did in the comments section below).
Ingredients: Healthy Asparagus Soup Recipe Without Cream
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 1 shallot
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2 percent milk
- 1 T olive oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 T parsley (optional)
1. Chop the woody ends off the asparagus and rinse.
2. Mince the shallot.
3. Combine the asparagus and shallot with olive oil and roast for 10 minutes.
4. Add all ingredients except parsley in a blender or food processor. Blend for 30 seconds then transfer to a pot.
5. Simmer soup for 10 minutes before serving and garnish with parsley.
156 calories, 8 g fat, 13 g carbs (3.5 g fiber), 13 g protein, 581 mg sodium
Check out more of my healthy soup recipes here.
And sign up for my newsletter below to get free weekly updates to my site.