All you need to make this recipe a success are some low sodium broth (I used chicken broth from Trader Joe’s but vegetable broth works too); a little salt, pepper, and cumin; and a bag of frozen organic corn (non-organic corn is genetically modified and not as healthy).
So how healthy is this recipe? I’ll let the nutrition stats do the talking: 99 calories, 1 gram of fat, 17 gram of carbs, 5.5 grams of protein, and 555 milligrams of sodium.
Most cream of corn soup recipes contain at least triple the calories, fat, and salt!
I topped mine with a dollop of Greek yogurt, but this is an optional step. You can also add a little lemon juice and zest if you want a more acidic flavor.
Here’s the recipe …
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||0 minutes||2|
Ingredients: Healthy Cream of Corn Soup
- 8 oz. frozen organic corn
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 T plain Greek yogurt
1. Chop the tomato, cucumber, and green onion and mince the white onion and garlic.
2. Combine veggies with all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
99 calories, 1 g fat, 17 g carbs (1 g fiber), 5.5 g protein, 555 mg sodium