I used just 8 real, all-natural ingredients, including celery, onion, vegetable broth, buttermilk, coconut oil, lemon, salt, and pepper.
Make sure you grab some reduced fat buttermilk and low sodium broth (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Broth). This will help cut down the calories, fat content, and sodium.
Compare the all-natural ingredients in my healthy cream of celery soup recipe to the ingredients in Campbell’s soup:
Water, Celery, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed, Canola, and/or Soybean), Wheat Flour, Modified Food Starch, Contains less than 2% of: Salt, Soy Protein Concentrate, Monosodium Glutamate, Cream Powder (Cream [Milk], Soy Lecithin), Yeast Extract, Flavoring, Beta Carotene for Color.
Sounds like a chemistry experiment gone wrong to me. Campbell’s also has 1700 milligrams of sodium per 1 cup serving. That’s over a day’s worth for most adults.
My recipe has just 427 mg (and only 128 calories and 6 grams of fat)!
So give it a whirl and let me know what you think.
Ingredients: Healthy Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
- 4 large stalks of celery
- 1 onion
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups reduced fat organic buttermilk
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Slice the ends off the celery and rinse.
2. Chop the onions and celery and saute with coconut oil over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Combine all ingredients except buttermilk in blender. Blend for 20-30 seconds.
4. Transfer to stock pot and slowly whisk in buttermilk. Simmer over low heat for another 15 minutes or so.
128 calories, 15 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 6 g fat, 5 g protein, 427 mg of sodium