The coleslaw you find at most fast food restaurants and grocery stores is filled with processed, artificial ingredients. A quick Google search revealed the following example at Hardees’s. Check out these ingredients:
- Soybean Oil, Sugar, Water, Vinegar (Corn-Cider, Distilled), Egg Yolk, salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Garlic Powder, Mustard Flour, Calcium Disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.
- Sugar, Soybean Oil, Water, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Egg Yolk, Contains Less Than 2% of the following: Corn Starch, Modified, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Onion Powder, Spices, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate as Preservatives, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Dextrose, Calcium Disodium EDTA added to protect flavor, Paprika.
Maybe it’s just me, but I like to be able to pronounce all the ingredients in my coleslaw. So I decided to whip up this healthy homemade coleslaw recipe. Even the mayo is homemade … so you don’t have to worry about any of the processed chemicals like you see above. Because coleslaw shouldn’t have chemicals.
Here’s what it should have: cabbage, carrots, radishes, jalapenos, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, buttermilk, salt, and pepper.
This homemade coleslaw will taste different if you’re used to the stuff you buy in stores. It’s fresher, crisper, and infinitely more delicious. The key to making this healthy coleslaw recipe a success though is to let it sit in the refrigerator overnight after you make it. Resist the temptation to eat some right away!
If you do, you’ll be rewarded the next day as the flavors will meld together perfectly.
Here’s what it looks like:
Plus it only has 121 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 8 grams of carbohydrates. Not too shabby!
So here you go … let me know what you think!
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|15 min||0 min||10-12|
Ingredients: Healthy Coleslaw Recipe with Homemade Mayo
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 garlic scape
- 3 radishes
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 3/8 cup buttermilk
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp. kosher salt
- Homemade mayo (recipe below)
Homemade mayo recipe
- 1 egg (from a pasture-raised chicken)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
1. Combine all ingredients for mayo in a blender except the olive oil. Slowly pour in the olive oil as you blend. Blend on medium for about 30 seconds then set aside.
2. Clean, peel, and rinse all veggies.
3. Dice the carrots, and onion. Mince the jalapeno and garlic scape. Shred the radishes. And cut the cabbage into thin strips about 1 inch long.
4. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
121 calories, 10 g fat, 8 g carbs (1 g fiber), 2 g protein, 350 mg sodium
Want More Healthy Recipes Like This?
2. Sign up for my newsletter on the right to get exclusive recipes not found on my site.