First thing’s first, let me throw a disclaimer out there: this is not a “healthy” lasagna recipe by my standards. I made this gluten free lasagna recipe as a special treat for my wife, who has a gluten intolerance. Even The Healthy Eating Guide needs to splurge once in a while. 😎
I will say that it’s healthier than most lasagna recipes you’ll find. That’s because I used:
1. Whole grain brown rice noodles.
2. Ground sirloin from grass fed beef (which is leaner).
3. A sodium-free tomato sauce (from Eden Organic).
I’ll admit, 738 calories is a lot compared to my other recipes. But this homemade lasagna is still much healthier than going to most restaurants. Olive Garden’s Lasagna Classico, for example, has 850 calories, 47 grams of fat, 2830 milligrams of sodium, and a mile-long ingredient list filled with processed foods.
So back to the recipe. The cheese, in my opinion, is what takes a lasagna recipe from good to great. So I used the best ricotta and parmesan-reggiano cheeses I could find. Go to any specialty grocery store with a good cheese selection and they’ll be able to steer you in the right direction. The nice thing is these premium, full fat cheeses are so flavorful you don’t have to use as much as most recipes call for.
So here’s my gluten free lasagna recipe. I know you’ll love it.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|20 min||60 min||8|
Ingredients: Gluten Free Lasagna Recipe
- 1 package gluten free lasagna noodles
- 1 onion
- 3/4 lb. grass fed ground sirloin
- 1 lb. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan-reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 cups no-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
1. Boil the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions. Rinse with cold water immediately after boiling and set aside.
2. Dice the onions and cook them with the ground beef over medium heat until the beef is still slightly pink. Rinse, and combine with tomato sauce, minced garlic and salt in a bowl.
3. Dice the sun dried tomatoes and add to the bowl with the onions, beef, and tomato sauce.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and start layering the lasagna in a long glass baking dish.
5. Coat the dish with olive oil and start with a thin layer of the tomato and meat sauce in the bottom. Top it with a layer of lasagna noodles, then another layer of sauce. Top the sauce with the ricotta cheese and the minced basil, then another layer of noodles. Top the noodles with one more layer of sauce then the shredded parmesan cheese and some fresh black pepper.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Remove the let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
738 calories, 18 g fat, 59 g carbs (8 g fiber), 30 g protein, 577 mg sodium