Garbanzo beans, aka chickpeas, are one of the best non-meat sources of fiber and protein. And if you’re interested in whipping up an awesome Garbanzo Bean Salad with Homemade Fattoush Dressing, you’ve come to the right place!
Fattoush is a lemony dressing you’ll find in most authentic Lebanese and other Middle Eastern restaurants. It’s one of my all-time favorite dressings and this homemade version is the closest I’ve come to matching it. One of the key ingredients you’ll need to make a good Fattoush dressing is sumac, which is a tart-flavored spice. Most of the other ingredients are fairly straightforward.
And of course this chickpea salad recipe is super healthy too. It has 286 calories, healthy monounsaturated fats, 7.5 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and just 251 milligrams of sodium.
So check it out and let me know what you think …
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||1 hr 30 min||2|
Ingredients: Garbanzo Bean Salad with Homemade Fattoush Dressing
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans or 1 can salt-free beans
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 T minced jalapeno
- 1/2 lime
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. sumac
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano (or 1 T fresh)
1. If you’re using dried beans, soak them overnight. Drain and rinse. Bring a pot of water to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 90 minutes. Drain and rinse.
2. Mince the jalapeno and garlic and chop the tomato and avocado.
3. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
4. Divide evenly into four bowls and serve.
286 calories, 22 g fat, 21 g carbs (7.5 g fiber), 6 g protein, 251 mg sodium