When it starts to get cold here in Michigan, there aren’t many things better than a warm cup of really good chili. We had some friends coming into town, one of whom was a vegetarian, so I came up with this crock pot vegetarian chili recipe.
This recipe has a lot of ingredients and it takes some time to cook (about 4 hours). But chili is one recipe that I think benefits from more ingredients in order to get that nice, hearty flavor.
I started with a combination of fresh and canned tomatoes. I always try and use the no-salt variety for both tomatoes and beans. I love Eden Organic, a Michigan-based company that offers salt-free products and cans with no BPA.
For the sauce, I used a base of Trader Joe’s no-salt added tomato sauce, water, and a nice IPA beer. IPA is a bitter, hoppy brew that added a great flavor. Note: early on in the cooking process the chili will taste a little bitter. Don’t worry. Once the flavors meld together after several hours this will subside. The squash added just a tiny hint of sweet to the salty, savory flavor of the spice blend.
Let me know how you liked it and what changes you made to make it your own.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|20 min||4 hrs||8|
Ingredients: crock pot vegetarian chili recipe
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 can salt-free tomatoes
- 1 can salt-free black beans
- 1 can salt-free garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup salt-free tomato sauce
- 1 small buttercup squash (most types of squash will work)
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 cup water (or more depending on how thick you like it)
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T coriander
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cilantro
- 1 tsp. allspice
- Black pepper (to taste)
1. Rinse the garbanzo beans and black beans.
2. Rinse the tomatoes and dice them.
3. Dice the onions and mince the garlic.
4. Peel the squash, de-seed it, cut off the ends, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
5. Place all ingredients into crock pot.
6. Cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 2 hours.
7. Let cool for 20 minutes or so then it’s ready to serve.
172 calories, 1 g fat, 28 g carbs (6 g fiber), 8 g protein, 352 mg sodium