Mole (pronounced “mole-eh”) is a rich, flavorful sauce commonly used in Mexican cooking. Many mole sauce recipes can have 20 ingredients or more (here’s an example). Since most of us don’t have the time to be making sauces with 20 ingredients, I whipped up this easy Chicken with Mole Sauce recipe.
I made my mole sauce with cocoa, salt, sugar, garlic, chiles, sesame seeds, and pepitas (pumpkin seeds). A high powered food processor or blender will help get the spice mix down to the powder-like consistency you’re looking for. I used my mole sauce as a dry rub then sprinkled some on after the chicken was done cooking too.
Here’s another benefit of this mole sauce recipe: it has barely any calories. The entire dish has only 151 calories and 4 grams of fat.
So give my Chicken with Easy Mole Sauce Recipe a try and let me know what you think. I’d love to hear about other ingredients that you added to the mole sauce.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||15 min||4|
Ingredients: Chicken with Easy Mole Sauce Recipe
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T raw cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T sugar
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 small dried chile pepper (or 1 T dried crushed red pepper)
- 1 T sesame seeds
- 2 T pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Grind all ingredients for mole sauce in a food processor or blender.
2. Quarter your chicken into four 4-oz. breasts and apply a dry rub with half the mole sauce. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat a pan to medium-high, spray pan with cooking spray, and cook chicken breasts for 5-6 minutes/side.
4. Remove chicken breasts from heat, sprinkle unseasoned parts with mole seasoning, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
151 calories, 4 g fat, 5.5 g carbs (1 g fiber), 24 g protein, 605 mg sodium