Finding a good healthy chicken tacos recipe isn’t easy. Trust me, I’ve tried.
Even at the quick-serve places (Taco Bell, Qdoba, etc.) that allow you to customize your meal to make it healthier, you’re still getting a whole bunch of highly processed ingredients and salt. Here’s an example: order two of the healthier “Fresco” tacos at T-Bell, and you’re still consuming all of this:
Taco Shell: Ground Corn treated with Lime, Water, Vegetable Oil (Contains One Or More Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil) With TBHQ And Citric Acid Added As Preservative, Oat Fiber. Corn, Vegetable Oil (May Contain One Or All Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Or Cottonseed Oil), Oat Fiber, TBHQ (Used As A Preservative).
Chicken: Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Seasoning (Onion Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sugar, Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Carrageenan, Seasoning [Tomatillo Flavor (Safflower Oil, Natural Flavor), Lemon Oil, Cilantro Flavor (Safflaower Oil, Natural Flavor)], Green Chili Pepper Powder, Dehydrated Parsley, Spice, Citric Acid, And Less Than 2% Soybean Oil And Silicon Dioxide Added As Processing Aids), Modified Food Starch, and Sodium Phosphates.
Pico de Gallo: Tomatoes, Onion, Cilantro, Water, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Salt, Xanthan Gum
Uh, yeah … that’s a few too many processed, chemical-sounding ingredients for this guy. But I don’t want to pick on poor old Taco Bell. Let’s look at Qdoba, a seemingly healthier option, if you ask some people. For comparison sake, below you’ll see nutrition information for two of Qdoba’s chicken tacos side-by-side with my healthy chicken tacos:
|Qdoba chicken tacos (2 tacos)||610||32|
|Scott's healthy chicken tacos recipe (2 tacos)||279||2.5|
As you can see, you can save yourself 331 calories and 29.5 grams of fat … not too shabby!
The best part is, these healthy chicken tacos tasted absolutely delicious. And, they were super filling … you get a solid 30 grams of protein by eating just two tacos.
Without further ado/blabbering on my part, here’s the recipe …
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|20 min||5 hrs||6|
Ingredients: Healthy Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 1.5 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup low sodium tomato juice
- 1 bottle of cider beer
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 Ancho chile pepper
- 1 lime
- 12 corn tortillas
- Black pepper to taste
1. Add the chicken, tomato juice, beer, liquid smoke, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic (minced), and half the onion (diced) into a crock pot. Turn to high heat setting and cook for 3 hours.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 1.5 to 2 hours.
3. Reduce heat to warm. Shred the chicken by using two forks to pull it apart.
4. Make the homemade pico de gallo by dicing the remaining onion, tomatoes, and chile pepper. Combine in a small bowl and top with juice from lime.
5. Cook the corn tortillas in the oven at 400 for 7 minutes.
6. Scoop some chicken into each tortilla and top with homemade pico de gallo.
279 calories, 2.5 g fat, 29 g carbs (4 g fiber), 30 g protein, 408 mg sodium