Here’s the story behind this Cheesy Buttermilk Cornbread recipe. Since I’ve been preparing/eating more gluten-free foods because of my wife’s intolerance, I wanted to make a bread that she could actually eat.
I don’t do much baking though, so my experience in that department is lacking. But, I love buttermilk cornbread biscuits, and I had some buttermilk in the fridge I needed to use up. This Cheesy Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe is the result.
I used reduced fat buttermilk, reduced fat cheese, and less oil than other recipes, which helped make these a lot healthier. And, there are no artificial ingredients here. You get 100% all natural goodness.
I added a little minced jalapeno for some heat and added flavor. I highly recommend it. Just remove the seeds if you don’t like a lot of spice.
Here’s my buttermilk cornbread recipe. Hope you like it as much as I did.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|5 min||35 min||9|
Ingredients: Cheesy Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 oz. reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 T green onion
- 1 T jalapeno (optional)
1. Combine the eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
2. Add the olive oil, buttermilk, cornmeal, baking soda, and salt and continue to mix together.
3. Chop the green onion and mince the jalapeno (optional) and add to the mixing bowl.
4. Cut the cheddar cheese into small pieces and add to mixture.
5. Pour the cornbread mixture into a greased 9-inch baking dish.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven (400 degrees) for 30-35 minutes.
7. Let rest for 10-15 minutes and cut into 9 equal-sized portions.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
146 calories, 9 g fat, 11 g carbs (1 g fiber), 5 g protein, 289 mg sodium