But guess what? It is the best. I’ve tried dozens and dozens of guacamole recipes and I always come back to this one. Here’s why:
1. It’s simple. I like to let the ingredients do the work … not overcomplicate things. This guac has 6 ingredients each of which serves a specific purpose. Which leads me to my next point …
2. It has the perfect balance of flavors. You get the smooth, creamy taste of avocado combined with the cool, citrus-y flavors of lime and cilantro, a little onion for crunch and texture, some jalapeno for the perfect amount of heat, and a bit of salt to complete that perfect savory flavor.
3. It uses healthier ingredients. I don’t overload my guac with salt, oil, and other junk (that’s what most restaurants do). And, I like to use whole wheat pita bread, which is a healthier sources of carbs.
I make this at least once a week. And, it’s great to serve when you’re entertaining guests.
So without further ado, here’s the best guacamole recipe ever.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 T jalapeno pepper (diced)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 piece of whole wheat pita bread
Dice up the onion and jalapeno and combine together in a mixing bowl. Peel the avocados, remove the cores, and place them in the mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, salt, and cilantro. Mix together thoroughly using a hand mixer or potato masher.
Then, toast the pita until it’s done to your liking (I like mine a little crispy on the edges while still soft in the middle). Serve the guac with the pita chips and enjoy the praise from your friends.
226 calories, 16 g fat, 22 g carbs (9 g fiber), 3 g protein, 287 mg sodium